In this month’s Soap Challenge Club, we learned a new technique called pointy layers. Our guest instructor was Teri Endsley of Tree Marie Soapworks. Teri has a wonderful YouTube channel and makes the most beautiful soaps. The pointy layers technique involves pouring lines of very fluid soap as close as possible to the layer below, while also leaving gaps of color showing (these form the points). Controlling trace and having a nice long spout were essential. In my attempt to get a swept look to my pointy layers, I decided to try a diagonal pour where I tilted my mold.
Olive Oil – 42%
Coconut Oil – 25%
Shea Butter – 10%
Sunflower Oil – 10%
Cocoa Butter – 5%
Avocado Oil – 4%
Castor Oil – 4%
Water = 2 x Sodium Hydroxide (33% lye solution)
My oils and lye were at about 78º Fahrenheit
Essential Oil Blend:
Orange – 2 parts
Rosemary – 2 parts
Peppermint – 1 part
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika infused sunflower oil per cup of soap
- orange essential oil added to this soap only
- 1 teaspoon hydrated illite clay per cup of soap
- 1/2 teaspoon hydrated pink kaolin clay per cup of soap
- Indigo Root powder mixed in sunflower oil – 0.5 teaspoon per cup of soap
- Activated Charcoal mixed in sunflower oil – 0.5 teaspoon per cup of soap
I tilted my mold as close to 45º as possible. I used towels on both sides to keep it from falling. As I began pouring the lines of soap, I realized quickly that I could not reach the soap under the tilted mold (about 1/2″ as you can see in the photos below). The tip of my pouring spout just wouldn’t reach. I improvised with some disposable pipettes. Thankfully, the soap was thin enough and the pipettes worked for covering those small areas.
I did film my entire process and will hopefully have a video edited and posted early next week.
The pointy layer technique is really a lot of fun. As with most new techniques, I tried a couple of small batches first to figure everything out (how thin to pour, how close to get, etc). I would say my soap was at a light trace when I began pouring and stayed quite thin until the end.
Tilting the mold definitely allowed me to get really close to each layer. I think perhaps I got too close (or was too slow) while pouring the first orange layer, as the white layer below didn’t turn out as pointy as I’d hoped. Some of the orange soap also has glycerin rivers (towards the middle of the batch) thanks to the extra water I used with the clay. I used as little water as possible to hydrate the clay (for ease of blending), but the soap got quite hot during gel (warm room and wrapped up beside another batch of soap). Overall, I’m really happy with how they turned out and can’t wait to see all the other entries!
Here are the photos of my finished soaps:
Thank you so much for reading my post!